Tuesday, April 13, 2010


I’ll post a brief tour of the hospital later today--I don’t have time to wrestle with the pictures before breakfast. I just thought I’d post a little note that I’m sure most of my medical friends (and many of you non-medical folks) will find a bit hard to believe. This is a picture of us outside in the 5 or so feet that separate the two tents of the Emergency Department.


What we are doing outside, on the ground, without a monitor, is performing sedation with Propofol to relocate a dislocated hip. The reason we’re outside is that this was the only place we could find both the space and the light to do the procedure. This poor gentleman was in a car accident and fractured/dislocated his hip. One ER doc, one ex-Green Beret paramedic, one ER nurse and I served as the orthopedics/sedation team. The patient did great, and recovered (also sans monitor) to be discharged home on crutches to come back for orthopedic surgery tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the updates frank. glad you are able to document what you are doing, its important for all of usto read about what it is like down there for so many reasons. be safe. kara
    ps. jill and i will see j on thursday night... we'll dish out some bday hugs for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Your writing sounds just like you at work. Please, more, and be safe. Laura

    ReplyDelete